Monday, August 12, 2013

I love being a mom!

My baby boy turned 17 months old yesterday and time is flying by too quickly!  We've had an awesome summer together; dancing, reading, cooking, laughing, swimming, and playing.  Today I took some of his toys and some child proofing items over to the woman who nannies him and as I shared about who he's becoming this summer, I unexpectedly burst into tears.  I'm not ready for summer to be over and have to say goodbye each day.  Being a mom to this precious gift from God is my greatest joy in life.  He astounds me daily with what he is capable of, has learned, and his joy-filled countenance.  I love making him organic food to eat (and have made all of his food since he started eating anything but breastmilk), reading with him, singing songs, and seeing him display his smarts.  Today I went to get the hand broom to sweep up crumbs in the kitchen and he took off and came back with the dustpan (that only he knew where he put it) for me.  Then this evening he got a trash bag out from under the sink and was trying to 'do the trash'.  He makes connections between books we read and songs he knows and words I say.  He reads, and I mean REALLY reads!  I gave the Baby can Read program a shot and he loves the DVD's and doesn't enjoy watching any others, the cards, and books.  I can write a word from the DVD on a napkin and he'll do the sign or gesture for it.  I'm amazed daily.

Learning:  Do not underestimate what your baby can learn.  Their first 3 years shape their relationship interactions/ personalities.  Even though they aren't very verbal during this time, they are computing and taking in EVERYTHING!!!  Please, please, please guard how you speak in front of your child.  They absorb stress or joy.  Regardless of what was happening in my life last year, I was very focused on making sure K experienced love and security...it was not easy and I wasn't perfect at it, but I believe he appears to be unscathed.  For that I give all glory to God!

Food:  Contrary to some posts I've read recently...babies are not born picky.  They learn this behavior from others actions and careless comments.  Do they go through phases that might need some creativity in the kitchen? Yes!  But keep reintroducing food and ALWAYS speak positively about foods.  They don't know there is an option to not like foods unless you tell them.(ie: spit out food..."Oh, you don't like that?").  My son will spit out food if it's: too hot, too much, or a new texture...then pick it right back up from his tray and eat it no problem.  The one food group that I'm happy to teach him to dislike and reject is junk/processed food because it is unhealthy for him and unnecessary...and in all honesty...it's not really food!

Music Pick:  Our favorite CDs to dance to are Pandemania and Kingdom Rock (both VBS CDs).  K adds new dance steps all the time and is so much fun to watch.

I love LOVE love being a mom!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put! You're an awesome mommy and K is extremely blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!