Friday, January 2, 2015

I Choose Joy!

What is Joy, other than my middle name (literally)?  It is not the same as happiness.  Happiness is a feeling that comes and goes.  My experience is joy is a choice that leads to peace.  There have been many experiences I've lived through the past three years that I would not have chosen, did not make me happy, and often threatened to overwhelm me completely.  In each instance, however, I was able to stop, refocus on what was important, and find the joy in the moments.
                                     

When my son was a one year old, my husband was battling Leukemia for the second time, and I was working full-time, there were many days I wanted to pull the blanket over my head and stay there.  It was in those moments that I needed to stop and refocus on what small task I could complete at that moment and enjoy time with my little one.  We had lots of special times while I was cooking and he was playing on the kitchen floor at my feet.  The mess didn't matter, the memories did.

Today, being able to make plans and leave my son at home with his father who is now well, is a miracle and blessing!  Even in those times, though, coming home to my son throwing himself at my feet and hugging my leg while telling me, "I missed you Mommy!"...this is the highlight of my day.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am not saying that I've mastered finding joy in everything, but I have come a LONG way from where I was.  I used to jump on the negative train at the drop of a hat and then regret it.  Now I avoid that train as much as possible.  I'm finding it is easier and easier to find the positive in situations and see how complaining and griping won't change anything but will definitely make it more miserable.

Finding and CHOOSING Joy in life's journey is what this blog is about.  You'll see our struggles, our victories, and our day to day values and I hope you'll see Joy interwoven throughout all of them as a common thread.
~Heather
                               Meet Tawnia and Heather... friends, "sisters", your Joy-Filled Life Bloggers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!